The metaphor appeared as early as 1969 in the bestselling book Between Parent & Teenager by Dr. Haim Ginott, which mentions a teen who complains: “Mother hovers over me like a helicopter…”. Wikipedia
I am guilty, as charged, but in “recovery”.
So, what is a helicopter parent? This is a parent who pays extremely close attention to a child’s or children’s experiences and problems, particularly at educational institutions. Helicopter parents are so named because, like helicopters, they hover overhead, they do not stay long, and then they leave, only to return.Wikipedia
- The helicopter parent calls their college aged children to remind them that they need to get up and get to class (guilty);
- They call the teacher, from kindergarten to college, to complain about poor grades (not guilty);
- They feel an overwhelming and sometimes irrational fear when it comes to their children. Parents who are afraid their child might be abducted on the way to school or that their child might fall and break a bone at the local playground often react to this anxiety by unnecessarily limiting their child’s activities. (neutral);
- Instead of letting their child wait for a birthday to receive the latest video game, parents often fill their child’s needs immediately, rather than delaying gratification. They “invent” reasons for the “gift” and rewards for mundane activities. (not guilty because I am really too cheap)
- To avoid the inevitability of “hurt”, many helicopter parents will fight their children’s battles for them. For instance, they will threaten to “sue” over bad grades, invent reasons to claim their child has been unjustly treated , and when their child IS NOT invited to a party or event, the parent will often file a complaint with the administration.
- The will complete the papers for the High-school student, send for the dirty laundry of the college student and then return them OVER NIGHT.
So against his backdrop, these pampered children enter college. One Black student claims that he was called a racial slur, another spoke about the swastika painted in feces. Student Government President Payton Head uses Facebook to broadcast his frustration with bigotry, anti-homosexual and anti-transgender attitudes at the school after people riding in the back of a pickup truck screamed racial slurs at him. A drunken white student disrupts an African American student group, the Legion of Black Collegians, preparing for homecoming activities and uses a racial slur when they asked him to leave. “Not only did this individual disrupt our rehearsal, but we were also made victims of blatant racism in a space that we should be made to feel safe,” the group said.
So, a college is supposed to form a “protective hedge” around “certain students” and make sure that no-one calls them names? Further, the swastika incident, if it really happened, has nothing to do with being “black:. Further: There’s only one problem: no evidence of the alleged incident, in which a poop swastika on the wall of a dormitory restroom was reported, has ever been made publicly available. Did this incident occur as reported, or was it an immaculate defecation that formed the foundation of an unimaginable deception? Well, it turned out that the “said poop’ belonged to a young lad who did not like Jews , given the composition of Missouri, I really don’t think he has had a chance to meet one either. He did say that the was Ok with Blacks. Also, some helicopter parents like to clap their hands when their child lays out their “nugget” …. could this just be an extension of that?
Further, as for the racial slur, I am going to say that I don’t agree with the word, however, my kids have white friends who refer to their OTHER white friends as “ma nigga”. One white to another. So apparently, the university said “We did have another incident that was just reported last week where an intoxicated individual said ‘bitch ass nigga’ to a white resident.” The student went on the clarify that he was talking to his WHITE companion and not to anyone Black although it was overheard.
And true to the examples that these children grew up with…… when they are “offended” they must get rid of the offender. The President and the Chancellor and resigned … it became obligatory that heads would roll once the football team got involved. I mean…… what else do you go to school for?